Saturday, May 16, 2015

GOD SPEAKS


God Speaks: Lesson notes taken at Open Door Church; Bible Study – edited for clarification.

God speaks in various ways.  Usually He speaks to our spirit; through promptings, that seem like a premonition, a knowing or even a “Gut feeling.”

God speaks to us through His ministers and teachers as truth is illuminated in our hearts and minds.  God speaks most often through His Word (The Bible) as we read it with a teachable spirit, and are ready to listen for God’s plans.

Although it is not often; God still speaks at times in an audible voice.

Throughout the Bible there were many instances when God spoke with a voice.

In the beginning God spoke words to bring Creation into being.

Moses at the burning bush heard God speak. Exodus 20: The Children of Israel heard the voice, saw the fire, and the glory of God, but were so frightened, they told Moses to go up on the mountain and listen to God for them.

Abraham heard God tell him to leave his home and trust God to show him a Promised Land.

The boy Samuel heard God speak and he grew up to become a Prophet. 

Job was in a hard place but God spoke to him out of the Whirl wind.

God spoke to Elijah asking him what was he doing hiding in a cave? (1 Kings 19)

In the New Testament a voice from heaven spoke when John baptized Jesus; “This is my Beloved Son, Hear Ye Him.”

On the mount of transfiguration a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"(Matthew 17:5)

The Children of Israel are a covenant people that was given to them at the mountain through Moses.

A New Covenant was coming down on the day of Pentecost. 
 
A covenant is like onto a “Marriage Vow.”  God takes covenant very seriously.

The church is the Bride and Jesus is the Bride Groom. The importance of Covenant was for protection and relationship. 
 
God declared that He ONLY would be our God.
Exodus 20:3-5  You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.

The Covenant was broken by the worship of other gods.  God loved His people even though they cheated, and He never released them from His caring.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the “Word” and the Word was God and was with God.

Jesus is the Living word and He is God along with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

The Law is now written on our hearts. Jeremiah 31:31-33. 

Romans 2:15 Who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

How do we line up with His Word in our hearts, and are we manifesting His Word daily in our lives?

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

This is so true. It made me think of when Jesus said "My sheep know My voice". To explain that inward voice to someone who is not a believer is hard to do. The longer we walk with Jesus and follow Him as our Shepherd, the more distinctly we hear His voice and become more and more familiar with it. It is a precious thing to follow Jesus and to have His precious Spirit speak to our inmost souls. Thank you for this wonderful post, Hazel. :)

Unknown said...

Wow. This is a good reminder of how many times the voice of God is taught. Mind boggling to know that our Father lowers Himself to our level to not only make Himself known, but to rescue us.

Thanks for sharing this, wise one.

Ifeoma Samuel said...

God Still speaks. I completely agree. I am surprised the way God's Words in the Bible is watered down in our generation.
God definitely speaks through the Bible as you highlighted but the Bible is slowly taken away from the people.
SAD but TRUE.
God Bless Hazel

caryjo said...

I've been blessed, b/c God has spoken to me...through angels or whatever or in the Book... and has given me the instruction of where to go and what to do around and about. He's healed me many times...and laid special Words on me through it. I hear Him occasionally now, and, as I've often heard when praying and serving Him, that I'll be in heaven in the not-distant future. Trusting Him is all I can do. Anyhow, sure loved to see this. Thank you.

Wise Hearted said...

Thankful I can hear His voice, read His Word, Speak His name. For 35 years I lived for Betty, trying to get others to love me then to find out someone died for me, sinful me...I am a blessed women.