Friday, February 6, 2015

Loaves and Fishes



Is it wrong to feed the hungry and cloth the naked? 

Lest I be misunderstood, NO it is not wrong, and my husband and I do this as we are prompted by God. 

In our city and other communities, many flock to ministries that offer a free meal, a bag of groceries and warm clothing, with out considering the true gift Jesus is offering.

Jesus was concerned about those who were only hoping to fill their belly and not partake of the Living Bread of Life.

After feeding the 5000, Jesus departed to rest and pray, while the people sought to find him.  They wanted more loaves and fishes.

John 6:26, 35  Jesus answered them and said, Truly, truly, I say to you, You seek Me, not because you saw the miracles, but because you did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.

Those who provide food to the needy must also offer a plan of Salvation.

Some of my friends are sending monthly support for a child in another country.  As I view many of these children, they appear sad and are lacking the glow of Jesus in their faces.  Are these children also being fed spiritually to receive the Savior?  I wonder !
 
How many times do we attend Church only for the “fellowship” of friends around the pot luck or coffee hour? 

Again, I am not against social hours, because this is a time of bonding and making friends, but what is our first priority at church?

My heart is aching for the true bread and living water, as the loaves and fishes are beginning to sour.

A friend of mine provides blankets and sandwiches to the homeless; she was offered some help by some kind ladies.  When the volunteers realized that the homeless persons, continued to consume alcohol and drugs, they withdrew their support.  The helpers wanted the homeless to make a change in their lifestyle, but my friend was offended at their attitude and accused them of judging. 

Who was right?  Actually both parties need to pray and perhaps change their way of thinking.


Just being a friend to a sinner and enabling them in their sin is not enough.  The message must be clear that Jesus offers a NEW WAY of living and that includes living bread from above.

I recently left a church that suggested that I stop all verbal witnessing during their sharing time.  They said they appreciated the quick breads and cakes I brought for fellowship time, and of course the weekly contribution in the offering plate.  My husband remarked, I suppose they only wanted the Loaves and Fishes!!

We must ask ourselves, “What is the real reason I attend church?”  Are we seeking Jesus for Himself or for the blessings He can provide?
 
 Jesus said, “I am the bread of life.
Whoever comes to me will never go hungry,
and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.


 

3 comments:

Joy said...

Sadly most people come to God because they need the fishes and the bread, but when it come to witnessing and changing their ways...then it is anorher issue. Sad to say that many believers are doing the same...

Floyd said...

Well said and questioned, Hazel. I think too often the church wants to see things that we can measure and we forget that only God can see their heart... This is an awesome post and brings up some of the biggest issues in our church today.

caryjo said...

That was quite a challenging time listed in the scripture. Sometimes it's a smile and sometimes it's just filled with absolute amazement. That one never fits quite in to the rest of the life of Jesus. It's filled with rejoicing by many, many people.